I’ve used many different protein powders over the past 20 years – including egg white, whey, hemp, vegan, etc. Some people use protein to support muscle growth after workouts. Others use protein supplements as part of a meal replacement plan. But, did you know that specific types of protein can also support tissue detoxification and immunity? After much research and experimentation, I’ve decided whey is the “way” to go.
BUT, it must be cold processed.
Why? First, let me explain exactly what whey is…
Whey is a natural by-product of the cheese-making process. Milk contains two primary proteins: casein and whey. Whey composes about 20% of milk proteins, and casein comprises the remaining 80%. So when you drink a glass of milk, you are consuming both casein proteins and whey proteins.
According to WikiPedia, “Whey protein is a mixture of globular proteins isolated from whey, the liquid material created as a by-product of cheese production. Some preclinical studies in rodents have suggested that whey protein may possess anti-inflammatory or anti-cancer properties. The effects of whey protein on human health are of great interest and are currently being investigated as a way of reducing disease risk, as well as a possible supplementary treatment for several diseases.”
History Of Whey.
Fresh liquid whey was used in European clinics for centuries to apparently cure people of disease. The book The Whey Prescription, The Healing Miracle in Milk, tells of a sick man in Zurich, Switzerland in 1749.
Doctors gave him little time to live. He traveled to a mountain village called Gais, where he drank fresh raw whey on a daily basis and was reportedly healed.
News soon spread of this man’s miraculous healing and numerous people with illnesses flooded to Gais to drink fresh raw whey. A health spa was soon created in this tiny village. The opening of more than 160 others in Switzerland, Austria and Germany followed.
The renowned benefits of the whey cure brought emperors, princes and aristocrats from all of Europe to these spas to be healed of their ailments or to simply improve their general health.
Whey’s curative properties had been known for centuries prior.
Hippocrates (466-377 BC), the father of medicine, recommended whey to his patients. Following him, Galen (131-200 AD), another founding father of medicine, advised his patients about the whey cure. For a time, Galen even directed a treatment center in Italy. Many famous physicians followed in recommending whey to their patients as a cure for a variety of ailments.